Vacancy No. IMT 26-2023
IMT 26-2023 Bachelor- / Master Thesis: Micro-actuators with Shape Memory Alloys and Silicon Technology
The Institute for Microstructure Technology (IMT) develops micro- and nano-actuators for photonics applications by using smart materials. This class of material includes shape memory alloys (SMA) which exhibit several functional properties at the nanoscale. This enables the development of novel bi-stable actuators on the micro- and nanometer length scale. With increasing demand of miniaturization and low-power devices, these bistable actuators can be integrated in photonics and medical applications.
The aim of this Bachelor/Master thesis is to develop and characterize SMA-based micro-actuators using cleanroom techniques. The following tasks are to be dealt with:
- Computer-aided Design (CAD) and numerical simulation of the components with the help of multi-physics simulation tools
- Characterization of SMA material properties (structure, mechanical, thermal)
- Fabrication of devices by means of relevant semiconductor process techniques (such as electron beam lithography (e-beam), reactive ion etching (RIE))
- Experimental characterization of the fabricated devices
To carry out the work, the IMT has extensive state-of-the-art equipment (600 m² clean room with fully equipped technologies, rapid prototyping processes such as 3D printing and laser cutting, assembly and joining technology laboratories, various metrological laboratories). Intensive support ensures that the work can be carried out within the given time frame.
- Field of study: Mechanical/electrical engineering, microsystems engineering
- We are looking for ambitious, creative and self-motivated individuals, who like to work in a multidisciplinary and international team.
- Basic knowledge in micro-/nanotechnology is desirable; knowledge of COMSOL is advantageous but not a prerequisite.
Institute of Microstructure Technology (IMT)
as soon as possible
3 – 6 months (depending on field of study)
Contact person in line-management
For further information, please contact Gowtham Arivanandhan, phone +49 721 608-22759, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please apply online using the button below for this vacancy number IMT 26-2023.
Personnel support is provided by
Ms Carrasco Sanchez
phone: +49 721 608-42016,
Hermann-von-Helmholtz-Platz 1, 76344 Eggenstein-Leopoldshafen, Germany
Recognized severely disabled persons will be preferred if they are equally qualified.