Vacancy No. IMT 32-2023
IMT 32-2023 Bachelor or Master Thesis: Design and Characterization of Shape Memory Nanoactuators in Silicon Technology
The Institute of Microstructure Technology (IMT) develops micro- and nanoactuators using smart materials. Among the class of smart materials, shape memory alloys (SMAs) shows multifunctional properties including the shape memory effect, thermal and structural effects. This enables the development of novel bi-directional and bi-stable actuators on the micro- and nanometer scale, which are of special interest for applications in small space, e.g., in nano-photonics and microrobotics.
The aim of this Bachelor/Master thesis is to design, fabricate and characterize SMA-based micro- and nanoactuators for applications in nanophotonics using cleanroom techniques. Your tasks include:
- Characterization of SMA material properties (mechanical, electrical, thermal).
- Micro- and nanofabrication of functional devices using clean room technology (electron beam lithography, reactive ion etching, etc.). This work will be supported by our experienced cleanroom staff.
- Experimental characterization of actuator performance.
- Building analytical and numerical (finite element) model of nanoactuators
The focus of the work can be tailored to the applicant's interests and competencies. IMT has extensive state-of-the-art equipment (600 m² clean room with fully equipped technologies, rapid prototyping processes such as 3D printing and laser cutting, assembly and joining technology laboratories, various metrological laboratories). Intensive support ensures that the work can be carried out within the given time frame.
Field of Study: Mechanical engineering, material science, micro- and nanotechnology
- Solid foundation in mechanics of structures/materials is important; basic knowledge in micro-/nanotechnology is desirable
- We are looking for ambitious, creative and self-motivated individuals, who like to work in a multidisciplinary and international team.
Institute of Microstructure Technology (IMT)
Contact person in line-management
For further information, please contact Zixiong Li, phone +49 721 608-24684, e-mail: email@example.com.
Please apply online using the button below for this vacancy number IMT 32-2023.
Personnel support is provided by
Ms Carrasco Sanchez
phone: +49 721 608-42016,
Hermann-von-Helmholtz-Platz 1, 76344 Eggenstein-Leopoldshafen, Germany
Recognized severely disabled persons will be preferred if they are equally qualified.